Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I'm going to Sikasso... Africa is freaking hot!

Hey yinz guys,
 
It's been another splendid couple weeks in Mali and now I'm back at the training compound, Tubani So.  Things are still great with my host family and I'm finally able to effectively communicate with them. Unfortunately, I won't have much more time with them.  I do, however, have a lot of new and exciting news. I passed my mid pre-service training language exam this morning.  I am now intermdiate low in Bambara which means i can make basic conversation in the past, imperfect, present, and future tenses. I can haggle and negotiate prices at the market, talk about my family, daily activities, and job, and give/recieve directions amongst other things. Pretty amazing what a month of intense language immersion can do for you.
 
But the BIG news for today is that I found out where my permanent site will be.  I will be in the Sikasso region just south of a city called Bougouni (I'm sure that carries a lot of meaning, right?) So, Sikasso is comprised of the south central and south east of Mali bordering Cote D'Ivore to the south and Burkina Faso to the southeast.  This is exactly where I wanted to be as it recieves the most rainfall in Mali and I'll be able to grow a ton of shit in my garden, haha. The downside is that it's the muggiest and buggiest region of Mali, but such is life.  In other exciting news, we were told today that our swearing in ceremony will be hosted by the President of Mali at the Presidential Palace... they must have heard I was here.  This is the first time this has happened with Peace Corps Mali. 
 
I've been given a bit of info on my site... I'll have no electricity but a water pump will be near by. My house will have a minimum of 2 rooms and a brand new nygen (outhouse)  [mmmmm, fresh nygen... what a luxury!!] {haha, you think I jest} I will have a large concession/yard with plenty of room for a private garden, trees, and composting. My village has about 700 ppl and I'm 23 Ks from the main banking and market town. I can get there via donkey cart, hitch hiking, taxi, or my bike. And the nearest peace corps volunteer is 15 ks down the road.  All in all, I'm stoked.
 
So... Africa is freaking hot. I told myself I new that coming into the Peace Corps... but naah, i didnt really know.  The best part is that i"m still in the beginning of hot season.  If you mention the month of May to a Malian, they'll just cringe in  sheer disgust, so there's something to look forward to.  It's all good though. FYI to those who plan on paying me a visit sometime over the next 2 years... come between october and january.  Here's another indication of the heat... I drink a bout 6 liters of water a day and only have to piss about once a day... yeah, sometimes I dont have to go at all.  Well, that's about all i got for now, hope you're not offended by my crudeness, haha. Gots to keep it real! 
 
Peace and Love friends,
 
Call me sometime...

Rege

No comments:

Post a Comment