Monday, May 16, 2011

I Eat my Noodles with Mustard and Shea Butter

Greetings all,

It's been a good month since my last email and I'm sure you're all wandering how your favorite ex-pat is fairing.  Well, rest assured I'm still alive and well!  I won't lie though, this first month at site has been a real challenge, perhaps even more so than I initially expected. There are a number of factors at play here, individually none of which are all that terrible, but combined can make life, err difficult.  1st, As the subject line implies, the food situation here is a bit sub-par.  The problem is not that I don't have money to buy food, but rather, there is no food to buy with my money.  As a result, my diet generally consists of either rice or noodles 3 times a day. Condiments have become my new best friends and are currently my most valued possessions. I'm not certain I'd be able to maintain sanity were it not for the wondrous inventions of mustard, ketchup, and co.  Oh the little things... 2nd, It's still  ridonkulously hot, although not quite as bad as it was a few weeks ago (one day i drank 8 liters of water and still got dehydration). 3rd, Going a month without speaking English... kind of makes you want to punch someone in the face at times. Especially when you're trying to learn a language as vastly different as Bambara.  I've found a Bambara tutor in my village and I've been meeting with him (Bazu) everyday for an hour or two.  There are all the usual frustrations one might expect from this situation: I'm still quite limited in the language, Bazu speaks less English than I do Bambara, and the end result is probably more comical than educational.
       Having Bazu as a teacher has led me to some interesting observations on Malian education. Most notably, that nobody in this country really reads or writes Bambara all that well.  The reason being that Bambara was a strictly oral language up until about 50 years ago. And, it was largely western academia that spearheaded the movement to turn it into a written language.  In schools, if you're lucky enough to be in one past the 4th grade, you pretty much stop learning Bambara and start learning French, Furthermore, the higher your education goes the more everything is taught in French.  As a result, someone like Bazu, who's pretty highly educated by Malian standards, can speak Bambara fluently as well as read, write, and speak French fluently.  Yet he struggles to read his original language and often times misinterprets entire sentences and ideas, which I may realize hours later, much to my chagrin, rendering all that studying pointless.  On the other hand, those who don't go/stay in school speak only Bambara or some other local language, but they cant read or write anything.  Another interesting point is how swiftly and dramatically dialogues change.  Even from villages a couple miles apart, there can be surprising differences in the way Bambara is spoken. This is due, again, to Bambara being an oral language as well as the fact that over 50 languages are spoken in Mali, Bambara being just the most common. Many people in my village are of the ethnic group, Fulani, and speak Fula as their first language. As a result, my little corner of Mali speaks Bambara with an interesting touch of Fula. As you can imagine, with over 50 different languages there are countless ways in which regional and local dialogues can evolve. 
        Another source of irritation, for me as well as the village, is that all our wells have gone dry and the one pump in town seems to be broken.  Everybody has to go to the next village down the road (about a mile) to get their water.  Have you ever tried to limit your water usage to under 3 gallons a day? that includes drinking water, cooking, washing dishes, bathing water, water for my garden and compost pile, oh and don't forget in this country... water+left hand = toilet paper. We don't want to run out of toilet paper, now do we? It's always interesting at the end of the day trying to prioritize your needs based on how much water you have left.
organic mango cooperative in Bougouni
        It's not all doom and gloom though.  In fact, the dog days are almost over. We've gotten rain 3 days this week including one hell of a gully washer 2 nights ago.  By the end of the month hot season will be over, rainy season will be upon us, the heat will drop, food will grow, wells will fill, and an angel will get its wings, or something like that anyways. Oh, and how can I forget the other factor that makes life livable during this time of the year? MANGOS!!! The most beautiful ones you've ever seen. Luscious, sweet, delicious, ripe, plentiful mangos! I probably eat 7 or 8 a day. There are more mangos in Mali during hot season than people know what to do with. Literally, some volunteers spend their whole 2 years trying to help Malians create a market for all the excess mangos that end up just rotting on the ground.  In lieu of a refrigerator, I've started my own little preservation operation.  I started my first batch of wine last month, and what better wine to make than mango wine?  For a first attempt, I'm quite proud of it, especially considering my lack of appropriate tools, and 100+ degree weather everyday.  I should give this batch more time to mature, but it's certainly drinkable and I'm eager to apply the lessons learned from this first process to more fruitful creations.
urine? no. just mango wine
      As much as I may gripe about the difficulty in learning this language, my abilities are improving, slowly but surely. Yesterday and today were especially successful as I navigated public transportation, banking, shopping, and general conversation with Malians with uncommon ease. Lastly, there are a couple more upsides to going through all these difficulties now.  1st, if I can make it through the foodless, drought laden drudgery that is hot season with very limited Bambara while still adjusting to the severe lack of English speaking and overall culture discomfort, then I'm more certain than I ever was that I can handle whatever the next 2 years throws my way. 2nd, in terms of getting work done as a volunteer, this turned out to be a great time to come to Mali. Nobody does any work during hot season, for good reason. Come rainy season, Malians are too busy planting their fields to devote much time to some project a crazy toubob (me) wants to start. The best time to get things done is during the cool/dry season which goes from mid October to mid February. Come that time, I should be well adjusted to my life in Mali and I will have a much stronger grip on the language.  In the meantime, I'll eat my noodles with mustard and shea butter, sip my mango wine, and try not to go crazy.

P & L

Rege

No comments:

Post a Comment